How to Paint Your Car at Home
Not everyone is rich enough to buy a new car every second year. In fact, purchasing a car is a major investment for most of the people and they plan to use the same for at least 5-6 years. Apart from going for a new car and discarding the old one altogether, another option to get a sparkling car is to change its paint. You can either get the car painted from a garage or paint it at your home only. Painting a car will remove any old stains and scratches and help give the car an entirely new look. If you are planning to paint your car at home, make use of the tips given below.
- Water and Cloth，masking film
- Wax/Grease Remover
- Body Putty
- Urethane-based Paint
- Spray Gun
- Clear Coat Paint
- masking film
- The first thing that you need to do, even before starting the painting procedure, is to wash your car properly. This will help remove the slightest speck of dust from the car and ensure proper finish of paint.
- In case you have grease or any other stubborn stains on the car, get rid of them by making use of wax/grease remover. Other options comprise of liquid charcoal starter and mineral spirits.
- Now is the time to smoothen out the exteriors of your car. You can make use of sandpaper and rub them on the rough areas.
- All the static should be removed from the body of the car, to make sure that it does not attract any more dust. You can achieve this by joining the chassis frame under the car with any grounded object, with the help of a wire.
- Before you start painting the car, wipe it with a clean, fresh cloth. This is to make sure that the car is completely dry before painting.
- Those parts of the car that you do not want to paint should be covered with masking film and tape.
- If there are any patches on the car, even them out by using good quality body putty.
- Next, apply the primer on the car. While applying it, be sure that it is even throughout the surface of the car.
- Using the sandpaper, scrub the primer carefully. Continue doing this till you get an even outer surface.
- Apply the urethane-based paint on the car, for color. For the base coat, make use of a spray gun.
- After applying the base coat, let the car dry for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Apply the final coat of the paint and thereafter, let it dry for thirty to ninety minutes.
- After the color paint has dried completely, apply three clear coats. Make sure to keep atleast fifteen minutes gap between two consecutive applications.
Car Painting Tips
- It is always preferable to paint in an enclosed area. Otherwise, dust and insects might interfere with a smooth finish.
- Never ever compromise on the quality of paint to be used on the car. It is necessary for a long-lasting and better finish.
- Sand the car only after cleaning it with a wax/grease remover. Doing otherwise might spread the wax/ grease to other areas.
- Make sure that the place where you plan to paint the car is totally dry.